Thursday, September 18, 2008

Colorado

A couple of weekends ago we went to Creede, Colorado to spend the weekend with my family. It was a quick 9 hour drive and only one bunny rabbit was harmed in the making of this trip (but that's what happens when a 10 pound bunny plays chicken with a one ton SUV. Not my fault the bunny had a death wish.) We got a cabin at Freeman's Ranch and enjoyed a simple life for a few days. It was a great trip and we had lots of fun. It wasn't as cold as I was hoping it would be but it did get chilly so it was a nice break from this Texas heat. Drew enjoys any opportunity to wear a hood so he was thrilled with the cool weather. We didn't come across any wild animals but we saw a rattlesnake at a rest stop. (As a side note, there was a big sign that warned of snakes in the area. My dad happened upon the rattlesnake when he and Drew ventured off the beaten path. When he yelled to us that there was a rattlesnake, there were about 10 other travelers at the rest stop with us. ALL of the men went around the railing to go look at the snake and ALL of the women stayed safely on the sidewalk to respect the deadly snake that was coiled, rattling and ready to strike. That's how people die. I'm sure my dad poking it with a stick didn't help. Sheesh. Men.) Anyhoo, here are a few pics from our trip.

(One of the kids' favorite things was the swingset at the Ranch.)




(The kids enjoyed hanging out by the creek. Grammy showed them how to step on big rocks to stay out of the water. They thought it was pretty fun.)

(This trip began Avery's love affair with rocks. She would hold them all day, sleep with them and carry them around the next day. She would tap them together, throw them, or just hold them. A girl and her rocks.)

(She loved to pick them up.)

(Throw them.)

(No matter the mess)

(She didn't go anywhere without her rocks.)

(Papaw and Avery surveying the horses before our ride.)

(I was surprised--my fearless child did not want to be on that horse.)

(But Drew was ready to ride.)


(Avery ended up falling asleep for most of the ride.)

(But woke up for the last part. I was glad Papaw took her with him because a few times, the horses got a little jumpy and I don't think I would have been able to hold on to her.)

(Nyah was brave and rode around the stable all by herself.)

(Slumber Party! Since there was no tv and it was too cold at night to be outside, when the sun went down, we played games. Nines and Mexican Train dominoes were our favorites.)

(The kids even got to go fishing for the first time.)

(They didn't catch anything but they had fun trying. I think Avery's rock throwing scared the fish away.)

5 comments:

Vinyl Wonders said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun!! I don't know how I would do it truly roughing it (by that I mean, no TV) with the kids all weekend!!

Maybe we could go camping for our next girls weekend?

ok, yeah, maybe not.

spaceyhawks said...

I love the pictures of your kids. They are so photogenic. It's looks beautiful where you guys were at, and I am happy to add glad it was you and not me. I feel bad, my poor husband goes crazy cuz I am so not a camper...cabin or no cabin. You need to let me know if you come out this way.

Eliza said...

The picture of you parents with all three of them is adorable. Avery and all the rock pictures is so funny. It's so funny what a kid with latch onto. Looks like you had a nice weekend retreat.

ami said...

I'd say the dance have had quite the summer. looks like a fun trip. let's have an update on any progress that might be happening your direction.

Jon + Kat said...

We are so insanely jealous that we missed the trip. The pictures are so fun and Sevy was excited to see Drew, Avery, and Ny Ny in the pictures. She asks for you guys daily. If we don't get to see ya'll sooner, we'll at least be in Amarillo for a couple of weeks for Christmas so Sevy can get her Drew fix for a while!