Friday, November 21, 2008

I Heart Twilight

Last night, I, along with 3 of my Twi-Hard friends went to the midnight showing of the Twilight movie. We enjoyed a late dinner and some girl talk and then it was off to the movie theater. At the theater we were at, the movie was showing on 3 screens, all sold out. We arrived at 11:00 pm and the first screen was already full except for a few single seats. We wanted to sit together so we opted to wait for the second screen to open up. We were at the front of the line and we were prepared to throw some elbows once the door was opened and the mad rush started. No one wanted to sit at the front of the theater. There were hundreds of people crammed in the lobby and as soon as the ticket guy gave everyone the go ahead, everyone started running into the theater. It was like the running of the brides when they mark down the designer wedding gowns at Filene's Basement in New York City (Google it--those brides are crazy). We scored perfect seats and were giddy with excitement to see this movie. There's something about it that brings out the teenage girl in you. So here is my review of the movie: It wasn't as good as it could have been but overall, I enjoyed it. It was a little cheesy in parts and some things were the complete opposite of how I pictured it, but it was still entertaining. It's hard to cram a 500+ page book into 2 hours so several details were left out. It was basically the book on fast forward. I don't think anyone that hasn't read the book(s) will really appreciate the story because so many intricate details were skipped over. As for the characters, I didn't think I was going to like the guy chosen to play Edward but I actually think he did a great job. He was a bit awkward in parts which I think is the opposite of the confident sometimes cocky Edward in the book but sometimes his awkwardness was endearing. I ended up really liking this Edward even though he is the exact opposite of how I pictured him. He has the crooked smile and the brooding glare down pretty good. One thing I did have a problem with was Edward's car was not the sleek, sporty Volvo described in the book, it was a hatchback. A Hatchback?! What is sexy about a hatchback?! (No offense, Hope) You might as well have given him a minivan!
So overall, I enjoyed the movie. I love the books so much that even though it wasn't a perfect movie, it was fun to see the story come to life. We had such a fun girls night and I love that so many people share our Twilight addiction. They have to make movies 2, 3 and 4 or I think the Team Edward's and the Team Jacob's of the world will mob the movie producers.

*side note: The song that is playing is Bella's Lullaby. I have heard a couple different versions by the same guy and this is the one I like the best. When I was reading the books, I would imagine how this song sounded and I think the pianist (Carter Burwell) did an excellent job with it. Listen from the beginning (either refresh your page or replay it on my playlist at the bottom). It is a beautiful song.

4 comments:

Vinyl Wonders said...

I had soooo much fun!!

I agree, the move was great, but my imagination definitely took me to different places while I was reading the book.

Eliza said...

Good times!! I'm so glad I have you all in my life. It sure makes it sweeter. :)

Erin said...

I saw it today and I really liked it. There were 8 of us that went and I think we were the oldest people there, the teenage girls were so funny with their reactions during the movie. Overall I really liked it and I want them to come out with the next one really soon.

spaceyhawks said...

AAAAHHHHHH I am so super jealous. Just about everyone I know has gone to the midnight showing. I have to wait til Thanksgiving to go see it with my sister and mother in-law. It's killin me! But it's fun hearing everyone's review. Glad you liked it and had fun!