Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Birthday to Drew!

I can't believe how fast the time has gone. Drew turned 4 this week and he is so excited to be one year older. The day before his birthday he kept asking, "Am I 4 yet?" He decided he wanted a Batman birthday party at Chuck E. Cheese so we had it scheduled for last Saturday. Drew had been sick all week so I was really hoping he would be well enough for his party. He was not getting any better so I decided to take him to the doctor the morning of his party. It turned out he had a double ear infection, a perforated eardrum, a stomach virus, and we were sent to the hospital for a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. He was obviously more sick than I thought so while we waited at the hospital, I called the guest list and cancelled the party indefinately. I had ordered a Batman cake from Wal-Mart and when I went to pick it up later that day, I asked how long it would keep in the freezer because we weren't able to have the party that day. And to Wal-Mart's credit, the nice girl in the bakery told me I didn't have to take the cake or pay for it and I could just re-order one when Drew was well enough to have a party. I was surprised and very glad I didn't have to pay for a cake I couldn't use. (I mean, I would have given it a valiant effort by myself but I don't think even I could have finished it in 4 days. Or at least I wouldn't tell anyone I did.)
Drew ended up getting a shot of antibiotics and about 6 prescriptions. We found out later that day that he did have pneumonia. So we cancelled the rest of our weekend and settled in for a few days of sick kids. Avery got sick also--not with pneumonia but she had the stomach virus and a double ear infection as well. She also got an antibiotic shot and both kids are almost as good as new right now. With both kids sick at once, I think I did 27 loads of laundry each day. Everyone got fresh sheets at least twice a day (including us--no bed was safe), the carpet got a good cleaning, and carseats were hosed down in the backyard. I have never dealt with so many bodily fluids at once in my life. Parenthood is definitely not ideal for those with weak stomachs.
So we had to wait until Drew felt better to have his party. I knew he wouldn't introduce any new germs to Chuck E. Cheese that weren't already there but for the sake of our healthy little guests, we kept him away until he ran through his antibiotics.
On his actual birthday, he was excited to wake up and have it finally be the day he turned 4.I got him some Batman balloons that he thought were so cool (score 1 point for mom!). I took an idea from my friend Erin and let Drew be in charge for the day. This meant he could eat whatever he wanted, which meant pizza for breakfast.
I can handle that for one day out of the year. He was most excited for the Leapster that his Grandma Dance got him and he played with that the rest of the day (if he could pry it out of Avery's sticky fingers.)
He had a great day and I can't believe he's 4 already. We love our little Drew and are so glad he's made the last 4 years even more fun than we could imagine. He is definitely a blessing to our family and we love him very much! Happy Birthday Drew!

4 comments:

spaceyhawks said...

Poor little guy! I'm so glad to hear that he's doing better (Avery too). Wow that is great on Wal-marts part, even if they are still on my crap list. Oh, p.s. you aren't kidding about parenting being for the weak stomachs. WOW! Learning a lot! ;-)

Darcy said...

Happy Birthday Drew! We wish we were closer so that we could have spent the day with you on your birthday. We miss you very much, but we look at pictures of the time we spent together in Idaho all the time. We are so glad you are feeling better! I hope you are loving be a 4-year old!
Love,
Aunt Darcy, Uncle Shaun, Alex, Colin, and Gavin

ami said...

Happy late birthday Drew. Sounds like you had quite a birthday. May year 4 be your best year yet. Come back to Idaho soon and go to the waterpark with us. We sure miss you guys a lot. Make sure you telll us if Santa brought you everything you wanted.

Anonymous said...

lets suck c--ks buddy I haven't sucked a 4 yr old in awhile and never cum in one so lets celebrate