Monday, June 21, 2010

Bad Mother Moment

I am leaving to take our Young Women to girls camp tomorrow and of course, I can't leave for 5 days without some sort of mishap right before I pack off to the middle of the woods. But, I have to admit, this one was 100% my fault. I was preparing the last little bit of packing today and decided to make some popcorn and put on a cartoon for the kids so they would be entertained while I finished up my to-do list. We were out of microwave popcorn so I decided to use our stovetop popper. Avery wanted to help so I told her to go ahead and help turn the stirrer. I was right next to her the whole time and I reminded her no less than 5 times that the stove is hot and not to touch it. When the popcorn stopped, I turned off the burner and pulled the popcorn popper off. The second I turned around to grab the bowl, she reached over and put her hand on the still hot burner. She instantly started to cry and it took about a nanosecond for me to realize what had happened. I dropped all the bowls and grabbed her because I knew she had just burned her hand. It immediately started to bubble up and I immediately felt horrible! I rushed her to the sink and put it under cold water and told her to sit there while I rounded up Drew and everything I might need for a little visit to the ER. Luckily Drew was able to stay with Brent at work while we went to the hospital. The good thing about a small town ER is we are probably the only action they had seen all day. We were in and out in less than an hour. Avery has second degree burns on all 5 of her fingertips and her palm was burned also. I Feel Awful! It happened so fast and she is hurting pretty bad. She is doing so good to keep her little ice pack on it but every once in a while, the pain sets back in and she just starts crying. It's so sad. They wouldn't cover the fingertips so they could breathe and heal and I think they are itchy too because I keep catching her trying to rub them on her clothes or something trying to relieve the pain. :(

I feel bad leaving her but I know Grammy will take good care of her and give her all the TLC she needs while I am gone. This was a lesson learned for both of us.Look at that sad face! I told her to hold up her hand but she wouldn't take it off of the ice pack so she is holding up her good hand. Little bandages are so pitiful. :(

3 comments:

Darcy said...

Poor little Avery. And, poor little mom. It's always heart breaking when your kids get hurt - and you feel like there was something that could've been done to prevent it (although, just to say, I totally wouldn't call that 100% your fault. Don't forget to give yourself credit for taking the time to make homemade popcorn! If we were out of microwave popcorn, then the kids would just be out of luck.) The good news is that her young little body will heal so quickly and will be as good as new before you know it.

Have fun at camp! I can't wait to hear your stories.

Jon + Kat said...

Poor little Avery! There you go with that dang Ormson luck! Grammy will take good care of her and she will be perfect by the time you get back! (good luck, by the way! Girls camp sounds frightening!)

Megan Gunyan said...

Oh Avery! That is so sad! I'm so sorry she got burned! Burns are awful. Don't worry, T, we all have those mom moments. Trust me! I'm just waiting for Claire to bust her head open AGAIN. Sigh. Your mom will help her feel better!