Friday, May 9, 2008

Motherhood

I remember when Drew was born I was, of course, a first time mom and didn't know what to expect as far as emotions for this new little person and motherhood as a whole. I remember feeling like I loved Drew so much it hurt. I wanted to protect him from everything and it hurt to think that I might not be able to do that. I wanted to shield him from everything and anyone that might be harmful to him. Before I had children, I thought that motherhood was all sunshine and roses. Little did I know that at times it would be frustrating and hard, bring me heartache and sadness and completely exhaust me. But I also underestimated how much happiness it would bring me, how rewarding, fulfilling and wonderful it would be. I absolutely love, Love, LOVE being a mom and I simply adore Drew and Avery. I still worry about trying to raise them up in a sometimes scary world but all I can do is teach them the right way and pray that they follow the Gospel throughout their lives. What a great and wonderful responsibility we have as mothers to raise Heavenly Father's children and teach them the right way. I still don't know what I've done to deserve these two little blessings in my life but I'm glad that I have been entrusted with them.
There are so many reasons that I love being a mom and here are a few:

  • There is nothing like that first toothless grin from your baby to make you feel on top of the world.
  • When they are crying or sad and all they want is their mom to feel better, it is nice to be their comforter.
  • Watching them sleep at night can (usually) erase all the frustration of the day. They are so peaceful and sweet.
  • I know more about anatomy and bodily functions than I ever learned in school.
  • Even though I may yell at them or be a mean mommy, they still love me .
  • Seeing the world through a child's eyes is very humbling. They find joy in the simplest things. They don't care about having the biggest and the best stuff, all they need is love and support.
  • Even though my house is a mess and I feel the most disorganized I have in my whole life, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world because the mess and the chaos is a reminder of how blessed I am.

I could go on and on but the bottom line is that being a mother has brought me such exponential joy and I feel greatly blessed to have the opportunity to raise my children. It has given me a greater appreciation for my mother and other mothers that are doing their best to raise their children right. So Happy Mother's Day to all the mothers, especially to my mom. I'm surprised you survived past my teenage years--you really are the best. Thanks for everything, I love you.

2 comments:

ami said...

Torrie-
Cute pic. You are a great mom- so full of patience- i really admire you. Can't wait to see you all in August. I hear that Brent has embarked on a new adventure and you guys will be business owners shortly. Congrats! Talk to you soon
love
ami

Eliza said...

Torrie you brought a little tear to my eye. I love the journey motherhood is. I'm also grateful for the many mothers I admire and learn from. You're a wonderful mother and friend to me. I hope you had a wonderful day!!