Thursday, March 13, 2008

One less body part

Drew had his adenoidectomy this morning and he did remarkably well. Judging how the rest of his day went, you would never know he was in surgery this morning. He had to be at the surgical center at 6:45 so we had to get him up pretty early. Since it is a relatively minor procedure, just Brent went with him while I stayed home with Avery. I packed a little backpack with a couple of his favorite things because I knew they would have to wait a little bit before and after the surgery. Drew has no problem going to the doctor thanks to our good friend Barney the Dinosaur. He sings a song that says "The doctor is a friend of mine" so Drew doesn't have anxiety at the doctor's office and is quite compliant and tolerant of all the poking and prodding. Plus Drew knows the visit will end with a sticker or a sucker so that always helps. So the wait to go into surgery was good--no anxious pacing or crying. I think it's sort of pitiful and cute when little kids are in hospital gowns so I made Brent promise to take pictures.

I have to admit, even though Drew has been under anesthesia before when he had his ear tubes put in, I was a little anxious for this surgery. Since they had to go in through his mouth, they had to place a tube down his throat and start an IV. Luckily, they did the IV after they knocked him out. So although it is a relatively minor surgery performed everyday, I was still a tad anxious that my little 3 year old would be going under. But everything went well and Drew came out of it nicely. (The blue thing on his hand is covering the IV). The doctor said the adenoids were a little swollen and had some fiberous tissue on them indicating previous infections. While Drew was under, the doctor also cleaned out his ears (one of the tubes was buried in earwax) and took some blood to test for allergies. So all in all, it was a successful procedure and Drew has had no ill effects so far. As soon as they got home, he came running in and wanted to watch the new movie daddy bought for him (Bee Movie). His energy level was about 80% until the anesthesia fully wore off and then he was back to himself. He spent all day running around, playing trains and cars and jumping on my bed. I could tell he was tired but I could not get him to lay down. He finally crashed for a couple of hours at about 5:30 and now I'll probably never get him to go to bed later. I'm glad he's done and hopefully the surgery will help Drew to eat better (not gag as much), not be so clogged up in his nose (no more atomic sneezes!) and get a better night's sleep.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

totally pathetic and adorable at the same time. I'm sure this is just what he needed. He will have such better health in general now.

Erin said...

I'm glad to hear that everything went well. OK while blog stalking I came across your friend Shaunna. My sister in law Wendy (Kev's sister) who lives in McKinney also has a link on her blog to Shaunna's blog. Small world. I guess they were friends down here before Shaunna moved to Amarillo. Have a great weekend, I hope Drew if feeling great! I used to give Jacob a bath in the sink all of the time, not white trash at all, it is so much easier.

Megan Gunyan said...

Oh man, I saw the header on that post and thought that someone had lost a finger or something! I'm glad Drew is doing good. I also love the pics of Avery in the sink....ha! I wish my kids would have been small enough to do that. Sophie is a monster, though! I mean that in a good, I-love-my-daughter way. ;)