Monday, June 30, 2008

That is one horny toad

On Saturday while my dad was out at his hunting spot, he caught a little creature and brought it home for Drew to enjoy. And surprisingly, he did!
It's a Texas horned lizard, aka: horny toad. It's not a toad or a frog but his body shape looks like it so that's why it's called a horny "toad". They are pretty common in certain areas around here. He has horns or spikes all over his body and even has little claws. One of their defense mechanisms is the ability to shoot blood out of their eyes up to 5 feet but we didn't witness this lovely demonstration. I couldn't believe that Drew and Sevy held it. They started by giving it five and both had no problem putting it in their hands


I didn't even want to touch it. My brother tried to get Avery to touch it but she's more of a squeeze-the-froggy kind of girl than pet-the-froggy at this point.

After they played with it and explored it, we let it go in Papaw's backyard. Here are the kids chasing it and then it ends up on Drew's head. That horny toad could not get away fast enough.

5 comments:

Vinyl Wonders said...

OHH MY! I about peed my pants!! I cant believe how brave the kids were!!

Erin said...

I laughed when I read the title of your post. Jacob would think that is so cool. I'm impressed that the kids were so into it.

ami said...

Horny Toad? Yikes. I'm glad we only have non horny toads here in boise. I would have definately wet my pants if I saw that creature on my porch.

Eliza said...

The title of your post made me a bit nervous... I wasn't sure where you were going with this one. Glad to see you kept it very family friendly.

I guess fear of creepy animals is a learned behavior because my kids want one too.

spaceyhawks said...

I'm still laughing, that is way to awesome!!!