Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy Birthday Baby!

My baby is one year old today! I can't believe how fast the time has gone by. This has been such a fun year. We enjoy Avery and love her so much. Drew has so much fun with his little sister and was so excited for her birthday today (he's always excited when presents are involved, even if they're not for him). To celebrate her special day, we had a family party at our house with Grammy, Papaw, Uncle Jon, Aunt Kat, Sevy, Teik, and Uncle Zane. The missionaries joined us for dinner but I sent them home with cookies so they wouldn't have to stick around for the cake and presents. For the cake, I had envisioned something really cute in my mind but my decorating skills are lacking so this is what the result was:

Runny icing and a pitiful raspberry outline. I know, I should have just left it alone. It's not how I intended for it to look but once the icing didn't set up right, I had to go to plan B and just throw everything on the cake. This was my second attempt at the cake. I tried to make one last night that I ended up burning (apparently an hour and a half is too long for a cake to cook in the oven). After borrowing some eggs from my neighbor to give the cake another try and actually following the recipe, I got it right. It may not have looked very good but it was dee-licious.
I was really hoping that Avery would tear into her cake and just make a huge mess and have fun with it but she was SO TIRED so she was a little cranky.

We tried to get her to take a nap all day but she wouldn't go to sleep so we kept her up long enough to open presents and then she finally got to go to sleep. Needless to say, she was not having any of this birthday celebration nonsense.
My mom made her the cutest little tu-tu but she was not in the mood for dress up today.
Drew and Sevy were waiting for her to go to bed so they could play with her presents.
Avery had an exhausting day and we had fun celebrating. Happy 1st Birthday Baby! We love you!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe that Avery is a year old already. Where does the time go. Sure wish we could have been at the party. Presents are on the way. Give her a big hug for us and show her our pictures so she will like us when we see her in August.
Much love to you all.
Grandma and Grandpa Dance

Vinyl Wonders said...

Happy birthday angel!!! She is such a sweetie!! I can not beleive it has been a year either! Give her a big squeeze from us!

Eliza said...

Happy Birthday Avery!!! I don't know if this is true for you but with me Jake's first year of life seemed sooooo long. My other kids all reached 1 so dang fast. I think the cake looks really good (of course I'm a fan of all cake).

Jon + Kat said...

I thought the party was a blast! Sevy did too! And the cake was marvelous, and now I am craving it . . . Thanks a lot Torrie!