Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Buoy

Some days I spend way too much time blog hopping and not enough time, say, cleaning my house or watching my children. I have come across some very heart wrenching blogs like THIS one, THIS one, or THIS one. (Do not click these links unless you have time to spare and a box of tissues close by.) They are all blogs from women who have lost a child or a husband recently and are in different stages of grief. I find myself being drawn to these women because in the midst of their tragedy, they are displaying incredible faith and strength. I don't think I would be able to function if I lost a child or my husband so when I read about how they manage to cope and get through a day without their loved one, I am amazed that their testimonies remain strong and their faith in the gospel is still firm and rooted with a deep belief of it's truthfullness. I cry when I read these blogs because my heart aches for these women who have to deal with a terrible void in their lives. They all remind you to hold your little ones a little tighter, cherish the simple things they do and always tell the people you love that you love them. I always feel a little guilty reading their blogs because when I am done, I can wipe away my tears, turn off my computer, and return to my family. I still get to hold my little ones and kiss Brent goodnight. I can still get frustrated with a child who makes a mess when some mothers would give anything just to see that mess again. Today I feel especially blessed just to have what I have. Despite the pain that all three of these women are going through, they are still able to uplift with their beautiful testimonies. I know that they are being buoyed up by their faith and as a result, I feel buoyed by them. All of a sudden, the finger prints on my windows mean more and the dirty clothes on the floor are a blessing. I don't know what I would do if those hands disappeared or the dirty clothes stopped coming. I know some of you have lost someone too soon and have continued to press forward despite your sorrow. I admire your strength and am humbled by your faith. I think if my faith were tested like that my buoy would sink. I hope to never find out.

5 comments:

Eliza said...

Torrie that was so touching and beautifully written. I think we all need a reminder once in a while.

Erin said...

OK, I should have not clicked but I did. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and their blogs. Of course I have sat here for I'm not sure how long and shed some tears for these amazing people. Thank you for sharing. The Gospel of Jesus Christ makes going through times like that possible.

Vinyl Wonders said...

I agree with the other comments. It is so tragic to know that there are people going through these things, yet it is comforting to know that they will be together again. Others will never have the right things to say and it will never be enough, but having faith in the Gospel and the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation, our hearts can heal.

I love you, and thank you for reminding me of my special blessings.

spaceyhawks said...

So well put! You had me tearing up. Its amazing what strength the Lord blesses us with when we are given such trials. The blessing of just knowing that the Lord is always there on our side when such storms arise is an incredible thing. Beautiful reminder. Thank you! ;-)

Jon + Kat said...

And on an unrelated note, I recognized the music on your blog and when I realized it was Jon Schmidt's Ocean Song, I learned that I play it completely wrong. Like, I'm not even close to how it really sounds. That's the main problem with hearing the real thing. I just can't compete!